Friday, January 4, 2008

Sudoku Quilt

Here it is. A picture of my completed Sudoku quilt. This was so much fun and went together so easily. I already have fabric pulled for a second quilt. A friend and I are planning on making this one together.

As if that weren't enough stash busting for one project, I decided that the backing needed to be pieced as well. I had a yard of fabric left over after putting the border on and really didn't want to put it back in the stash. So I pulled more fabrics and cut it all up into 10 1/2" squares. Then put a simple framing border on it so it would be larger than my quilt top. The fun part was laying it all out so that it looked pleasing to the eye. Especially since I didn't have equal numbers of any one fabric. I think it turned out pretty none the less. :) Both top and backing are now neatly folded.....with the binding fabric in a ziploc baggie pinned to them......waiting for the day when I will get it sandwiched and machine quilted.

With that top finished, another one started calling to me. So I pulled out fabric that had been set aside and started cutting strips. This quilt is actually a UFO from last year. The blocks were finished up in August (all hand applique).....the sashing and border fabric pulled a few days later. Then it was all set aside.....until now anyway. I'm doing a nine patch sashing and cornerstone. I got all the strips cut and my nine patches sewn together last night for the cornerstones. Today I hope to get all the sashing strips cut and sewn together. I have a picture on my computer of how I want the blocks laid out (each block is different). I will be using that as a guide when I start putting the top together. It will be nice when this is finally finished.

I did get my hour of spinning in yesterday afternoon. Was real pleased. I even managed to sneak another hour of spinning in last night. That was enough to finish filling the bobbin. Yea!! Looks like another two bobbins and I will be finished spinning up the Mountain Welsh and can move onto something else. In order to keep my fiber stash from growing like my fabric stash, I have decided that I will try spinning up one fiber a month. This month it's the roving I purchased before Christmas (with the Mountain Welsh being one......the other is alluding me right now). Last month it was the wool from Charlie, one of my sheep. His wool is now lovely finished yarn waiting to be used. So I'm doing pretty good so far. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment