Thursday, July 31, 2014

Chinook Shawl

A very good friend surprised me with some lovely yarn for my birthday. It's a 40/40/20 blend of alpaca, merino, and silk. Kinda slubby but oh so soft! It's a dk weight so even though there are two skeins there's not a lot of yardage. The search was on for the perfect pattern. I knew I wanted to make something like a scarf, but not a scarf. I wanted something that would take advantage of all the wonderful properties of the fiber blend. Hence, the Chinook Shawl. It's a skinny shawl that will work wonderfully as a scarf without being a scarf.

The knit has been easy and fun. The I-cord edging, body, and border are all knit at the same time. I took a before and after photo. I gave it a quick steam block to see how the fiber blend handled the I-cord edging. Would it hold or would it curl? If it curled then I was prepared to start all over replacing the I-cord edging with garter stitch. It seems to be holding so I will continue on with the I-cord edging.


It was really hard to capture the color of the yarn. It's a soft blue with white slubs. Very pretty. The simple lace border will look much better after it has been pinned out. I think it will block nicely.  :)



2 comments: