Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Wimple or Smoke Ring?

Smoke ring. The pattern I'm doing is called "Ice Queen". Rather appropriate for the winter weather we are having. It's beaded lace.....feather and fan pattern. I'm knitting it from a light fingering weight Shetland/cashmere/tussah silk blend hand spun 2-ply yarn on a US size 7 needle and am using size 6 silver lined beads. I had stopped by the bead store on our way home from obedience class on Monday. Tucker was wonderful and waited patiently for me in the car while I picked out the perfect beads for this project.

I did have a couple of false starts which I'm sure could have been avoided if I would have taken the time to do a swatch. Was in too much of a hurry. Once I got past the false starts things have been moving along wonderfully. The lace pattern is simple to remember. I even have the bead placement down. It's making a wonderfully relaxing knit....which is exactly what I need right now. Something that keeps my attention but I don't have to think about....if that makes any sense.

Had a very nice day in town with my oldest yesterday. Made up for the not-so-pleasant drive in. When I left the house there was at least 4" on the ground and it was still coming down steady and hard. I knew the dirt road I live on wouldn't be plowed and wasn't expecting the paved road our dirt road turns off of to be plowed either. I was surprised to see the main highway snow covered. It's usually one of the first roads in the county to be plowed. I was even more surprised to discover that the road was closed due to a bad accident. I was about halfway to town at this point so I opted to continue on even though I didn't know the alternate route at all. I just had faith that the cars in front of me knew where they were going and followed them. Took considerably longer to get in town than what it normally does (usually an hour each way). My oldest was relieved to see me when I finally showed up.

We enjoyed a nice lunch out. Had our nails done and did a bit of shopping before I headed back home. The drive home was much better. It had stopped snowing and the roads were clear. The only down side to the drive home was when a big doe decided to jump out in front of my car. I slammed on the brakes and swerved into the other lane but couldn't avoid her. She hit hard on the passenger side of my car......and then ran alongside of me for a bit before veering off the road. I pulled over so I could see what damage was done to my car and the deer. And so I could try to stop shaking. Surprisingly, even though she hit the car hard, there was no damage. The doe just kinda side-swiped the car. There's a big ole smear mark down the side of the car with bits of deer hair stuck here and there. As for the doe....well, when I looked up from my car she was standing about 20 feet from me....staring at me. I threw my arms up in the air as if to say "What were you thinking???" . She kinda tossed her head, flipped her tail at me, and pranced off across the road. Guess it was her way of saying that she was okay and hoped there weren't any hard feelings. All I know is I was real glad when I finally got home. It was definitely a night to partake in a glass of wine.


  1. Oh, I'm so glad the deer wasn't hurt! (Your car, too. ;-)

  2. So am I! Gave me a good scare though.