Thursday, May 29, 2008

Orange Crush - Step #4

Here it is! A picture of my completed step #4 of the Orange Crush mystery quilt......all 30 blocks!! I wasn't real crazy about how the blocks were looking when I first started sewing them together. But after about the 10th block or so I noticed that they really didn't look all that bad. After about the 20th block I noticed that they really were pretty.....and had a nice folk art/primitive feel to them. It will be interesting to see how they look in the completed quilt. I will start on step #5 tomorrow.

This must be my week for finishes. I *finally* finished spinning up the North Ronaldsay fiber yesterday. Yea!!! I was starting to feel as though there was no end to this particular fiber. It felt great to finally see the bag it came in empty. Now to set the twist on the singles and then get it plied....and ready for use. I was so excited to have finally finished spinning the North Ronaldsay that I went and wound the Gotland singles off of my Prelude.....then wound them onto a bobbin on my Sonata. I even spent about 20 minutes spinning a bit more. The bobbins on my Sonata hold way more than the bobbins on my Prelude (almost twice as much). Plus with the Woolee Winder on my Sonata, it makes spinning go so much quicker.....and way more enjoyable. I don't have to stop all the time to change hooks. Lets me really focus on my drafting and spinning a fairly even single. Someday I will have a Woolee Winder for my Prelude.

10 comments:

  1. I think your blocks look great. Scrappy, but I like that your lights are all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candace, thank you for your very kind comment. :) I usually do use one background when doing a scrappy quilt. I feel it gives the eye a place to rest. As for this particular quilt.....yes, it is scrappy. A controlled scrappy. I only used a few colors instead of whatever was in my scrap bin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be another I'd like on my bed! Like the dragonfly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. knitman, it will be interesting to see how this quilt turns out. After I do a few small chores, I will be starting on step #5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I love Floyd the sheep, and wish I knew where the pattern came from too. The little tag on the belly area said it was hand made in 1989! My wheel is an Ashford Traveller. I purchased it at the Fall Fiber Festival in Charlottesville, VA several years. It is the only one of 5 I have left!
    shespinswool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. June, it's a shame that neither one of us can find a pattern for the Floyd sheep. I've seen it done up with a quilt block needle-felted on the back of it. Looked real cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! A fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tina,

    I followed your link from the traditional knitting group. Looks like you have Shetlands! So do I, and just love them. Can't keep up with processing and spinning their wool like I want. When I go to Black Sheep Gathering, I'm going to take some of my fleeces and see if I can find a good processor who will be coming back to Oregon Flock and Fiber (to save shipping).

    Stop by my blog if you'd like! You'll see my Shetlands, my horse, my dog, my son, flowers, ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi - I jumped to your blog (which is lovely) from Michelle's at Boulderneigh. My husband & I have a little flock of Shetlands in Bellingham. I love all your felted animals (especially blue beary) - and your quilting is amazing. How do you find time to do it all?

    I hope you'll stop by my blog for a visit to our farm (plus our cats, my spinning & cooking, and etc, etc, etc.) Tina

    www.ablipontheradar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete