Monday, May 6, 2013

My First.....And Last CVM Experience

CVM -California Variegated Mutant......this is supposed to be a very relaxing fiber to spin with a staple length of 3-5".....and I was looking forward to spinning it. What a huge disappointment!!! The pencil roving I received not only looked but felt just like dryer lint. There was no staple length. It was like a semi- felted rope of second cuts mixed with dryer lint. And it was not soft by any stretch of the imagination.

Drafting and spinning was simply not going to happen. I didn't want to waste the fiber so I simply spun it as is...then plyed it to give a bit of strength.....ending up with 144 yds. of a very squishy ( but coarse) 2- ply bulky weight yarn. Now to figure out what to do with it. Will I ever spin CVM again? Probably not.





No comments:

Post a Comment