Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Russian Neck Warmer

I've a fascination with all types of lace with Shetland being my favorite. Orenburg, Estonian.....I love it all. A pattern came up for testing on the Orenburg Lace forum on Ravelry. It was "advertised" as being a great starting point for learning how to do Orenburg lace. I followed the test thread with great interest and promptly purchased the pattern as soon as it became available.

I used a handspun Targhee yarn (about a dk weight) on size 9 (5.5mm) needles. Once I figured out what I was doing it was a wonderful knit. It was just enough to become familiar with how Orenburg lace is knit and how to read the charts for it. I did run out if yarn with only 7 "teeth" (edging) left, but simply unraveled my swatch and knit from that.

My neck warmer still needs to be washed, blocked, and buttons added ( once I find the perfect ones). Here it is in all it's unblocked glory. There is even a photo of the top that was used to spin the yarn.













No comments:

Post a Comment