Tuesday, February 10, 2009

More Fibery Fun!!


Pictured above is the 2008 fleece from my ewe, Carrie (pictured below on the left). It is all carded and ready for spinning. And it's all for me!! Yea!!! I blended it with a bit of soy silk and it came out so incredibly soft and pretty. I have about a pound to play with. Her fleece was small due to the cotting.....and having lambs. She doesn't produce a good fleece when she has lambs. She had twins last year.....which are stunningly beautiful. :.) No lambs for her this year though.....and her fleece is looking amazing!


I was so tickled to be able to finally card up fiber for myself (since so much of the fiber I have carded up lately has gone on my etsy site for sale) that I pulled out another fleece I had set aside for myself. It was Gracie's lamb fleece from last year (Gracie is pictured above on the right). She is more of a fawn color with a lovely moorit colored face and legs. Her fiber is incredibly soft! I ran it all through the picker without even weighing it first. So I don't have a clue as to how much I have. All I know is that it is for me!! :.) I am blending it with a honey colored soy silk. The end batt came out a very soft honey color.....and feels incredible! I'm thinking definitely a shawl. :.)


While I was playing with Gracie's fiber I got to thinking about Stryder's lamb fleece (which I also set aside for myself). Stryder is Gracie's twin and is this beautiful dark moorit color. I know I wanted to do something special with his fleece, but wasn't sure exactly what. Until I got to digging through the little bit of fiber stash I do keep. That's when I discovered a pound and a half of first clipping kid mohair locks. BROWN first clipping kid mohair locks. How perfect would that be blended with Stryder's dark moorit fiber?? So off I go to get my hand cards so I can blend a bit and then finger spin it into a small sample. All I can say is that there was defnitely a reason those kid mohair locks didn't get used before this. The blend is absolutely perfect!! Lovely color, lovely sheen. And it looks like I will end up with close to 3 pounds of this lovely blend when it is finally done. Yea!!! Not quite sure what the finished yarn will be used for. I really don't care at this point. All I know is that I have yet another carding project all figured out....and it's all for me. :.) Now if I could only figure out what to do with the last of my lamb fleeces.......

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog today and I'm so glad I did. I just love your pile of fleece rolls. Looks soft enough to just lay down my head on it and have a little nap! I am just learning how to spin, and this year will be our first ever shearing of our Icelandics and 3 other sheep. I'm sure I can learn from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire! Wonderful to meet you!! The carded fiber from Carrie's fleece did come out so incredibly soft. It's hard not to snuggle and pet it from time to time. :.) I hope all goes well with the shearing of your sheep. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me and ask away. I've been shearing my own sheep for years now.

    ReplyDelete