My place for sharing thoughts on my sheep, spinning, knitting, and quilting.
Saturday, May 15, 2010
It's been a while since I've posted about the Wickersham quilt. It hasn't been set aside. I've just been busy re-working the blocks......and pictured is the end result. The entire first row is now finished, stitched out, and waiting to become part of the quilt......once the other ten rows are done, that is.
While the first two blocks I stitched out turned out lovely, they just didn't seem to have enough background space around them. They looked a bit squished into the background space. So I opted to make my blocks a bit smaller....which meant re-stitching. As I learned new digitizing techniques, I applied these to the blocks I had already done.....which I think just adds even more to the blocks. At first I wasn't real happy with the idea of having to go back in and re-work all the blocks that I had already digitized (3 rows worth!). Now......now I'm happy that I'm taking the time to re-work the blocks. I'm using a really neat feature of my embroidery program that allows you to do a "virtual" stitch-out. By using this feature I'm able to see all those tiny little mistakes before any thread touches fabric. I'm able to go back in and fix all these little flaws. While it may be time-consuming, it does save on fabric and thread. Plus it makes me happier. Usually, the first time the block is stitched out is the keeper. For me, there is nothing more frustrating than having to stitch out a block mulitiple times. I won't even get into the fabric/thread that is wasted......or the time spent.
I've started re-working row 2. It's going well, albeit slowly. I hope to start stitching out row 2 blocks in a few days. I'm really loving the way this quilt is looking so far. I can't wait to see it all put together. I've been wanting to make this quilt for years. Now it's finally happening......and using a technique that I never thought I would even think about learning, let alone using.