Monday, May 10, 2010

Painted Plates

Here is my latest finished quilt. This had started out as a block of the month......but, then the shop closed. Those of us who had signed up had the option of continuing with it and picking up our monthly blocks at a different location.....which was really nice. Unfortunately, the different location was just too much of a drive for me (an hour and a half one way). So I opted to finish my quilt with what I had.

My completed quilt measures 61" square. It has 3 borders.....thin inner border, checkerboard border, and a darker outer border.......and is finished with a dark red binding. The "plates" were digitized (not by me) and stitched out on an embroidery machine. This was the first machine embroidery/applique quilt that I have ever done.....and it was what drew me to this quilt in the first place. It gave me a chance to play with the embroidery side of my machine.....which I really enjoyed doing. Of course these days I digitize my own designs......but this was a start for me.

The label was designed in my embroidery software and then stitched out on my machine. I did something a bit different with it. Instead of sewing it on by hand....which I normally do.....I opted to quilt the label in place. It acutally worked out much better than I thought it would. I had ironed the raw edges to the back of the label and then glued it where I wanted it on the back of the quilt. I used a washable glue stick for this. I checked often while doing the machine quilting in this area because I thought for sure that the label would want to curl up or shift.....or something would happen to where I would have to take out all the stitching and start all over. Seems l worried for nothing. The label stayed right where I wanted it. Nothing moved. Nothing flipped up and over. It stayed nice and flat....thankfully. Will I be attaching my labels like this with future quilts? Most likely yes.  :>) It worked that well.

No comments:

Post a Comment