Friday, November 7, 2008

What a week.....

It's been quite some time since I last posted. Things have been beyond hectic here the last couple of weeks. It all started out with my father having a heart attack last week. We got him to the hospital where he was in surgery less than an hour after arriving. Talk about stubborn! Even when he's in ICU he is laying there telling us how he should be at home and how he doesn't need to be there. Good news is that he is doing fine. He was released late last week and is home driving my mom nuts because he just won't slow down.

Of course that wasn't the only thing that went on last week. One of my "fur babies" got real sick last week. I came home from the hospital only to find that my miniature schnauzer (pictured above) was falling all over and extremely unbalanced. I was unable to take him to the vet the next day because I was due back down at the hospital early the following morning. So he had to wait until things settled down with my father before I could take care of him......which really tore me up. Things settled down enough to where I could get him to the vet near the end of last week. I was told that it was nothing more than a simple ear infection and he should be better before the end of the weekend. The end of the weekend came and he hadn't improved at all. So back to the vet he went early Monday morning. He ended up staying at the vet until Wednesday. He had a plethora of tests done on him (and some x-rays) only to discover that he has a very serious ear infection deep in the right ear.....and a ruptured eardrum in the left. They found some cheat grass (I believe that is what they called it) seeds in both ears. So they put him on two antibiotics, one steroid, and pepcid ac to keep his stomach calm. There's nothing like having to push pills down a sick dog's throat twice a day. He's not real happy about it, but at least he has been cooperating.

When I first brought him home he had to be carried everywhere. His equilibrium was so off that he just couldn't walk or stand. It was really heart wrenching to watch him try. This morning was amazing!!! I carried him outside so he could do his thing. I was really careful to set him under a tree (it's been raining for the last two days....even snowed for a bit yesterday) so he would stay fairly dry. While I was feeding the sheep I would glance over at him every now and then to make sure he was doing okay. To my amazement he got up and actually made his way across the yard. He only fell once!! He was even able to make his way back across the yard to the front porch without falling. Of course he is not walking perfectly. Still a lot of wobbling.....but compared to what he was able to do just's amazing. And makes me so incredibly happy. He even growled at me this morning. Thought I was going to cry. My little schnauzer is very vocal. Doesn't snap or bite....but does like to voice his opinion on just about everything. He has been quiet since Monday. So for him to start "talking" again tells me that he is finally starting to feel better....which makes me so incredibly happy. It's been a very difficult week and a half for the both of us.


  1. I'm so glad your Dad is doing well. It sure makes you feel unsettled when one of your parents aren't well.Then to have one of your best friend ill! I so feel for you this week! But all is well that ends well, thank goodness your week did! :))

  2. Wow, Tina - what a week! I'm glad your dad is doing better, but I sure do feel sorry for your mom. Men do things like that: drive their women crazy if they're at home. Husbands and wives should live separately - for the wife's sanity.

    How is your little schnauzer doing today? he sure is cute :-)

  3. Glad your Dad is okay and also your schnauzer too.