Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sheer frustration......

.......is when you have nearly finished a project only to find out that it doesn't fit. This is what happened to me last night. I have been working on a pair of socks for quite some time now. I noticed that I didn't have much yarn left so I decided to try the sock on to see if the foot of the sock was long enough so I could start on the toe. The sock went on fine over my foot. Didn't have problems until I tried to pull it up. It was too small!! I ended up having to frog the entire sock....and I was rows away from finishing it. :.(

The sock didn't look small as I was knitting it. Yes, I did get gauge. And, yes, I did have to go up a needle size in order to get gauge. The foot of the sock fits beautifully. It was the leg of the sock that was too small. I was using the Jaywalker pattern by Grumperina (found on Ravelry) and Panda Superwash (a bamboo blend yarn) so I really don't understand what happened. I know I could simply re-knit the sock in a larger size so the leg would be bigger (which would work), but then I would end up with a baggy foot. Or I could re-knit the leg in a larger size and then try to decrease down to the size I need for the foot.....but I'm not experienced enough for that.....and am not sure I really want to mess with the pattern that much. Right now I have absolutely no intention of re-knitting the sock using the Jaywalker pattern. I may eventually find another pattern that has more stretch and use the yarn with it. There is an upside to all of this though. I learned how to knit a chevron pattern.....and learned that the chevron pattern has no give whatsoever......and learned that I really need to stay with sock patterns that have some give to them. At least for now anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment