Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sewing bliss

Sewing bliss is exactly what the addition of this machine brought to my sewing room. :) For years I have been wanting a sewing machine that had a nice variety of decorative stitches. While I may not use them on a regular basis they are nice to have.....especially for those projects that just scream for that special touch. I thought my Bernina had everything I had always wanted in a sewing machine. It came with all those wonderful perks. Knee lift....needle-up, needle-down.....and a small selection of decorative stitches that could be switched out if you purchased a program designed just for this purpose. I was estatic!! Here I had finally gotten the machine of my dreams with unlimited decorative stitches......as long as you had the program that is. Well, I saved my pennies and the day came when I was able to purchase that one program for my Bernina. Went to purchase it only to find out that my Bernina was an early model and it wasn't set up to be used with this one program......and it was way too expensive to have it set up. My heart sunk. Here I was with this wonderful machine that still didn't have the array of decorative stitches that I have always wanted. And with the prices of new machines.....well, let's just say it wasn't going to happen anytime this decade.

As luck would have it I was down at the Pfaff dealer learning about the finer points of adjusting the tension on my featherweight when my eye was drawn to a single machine in the used machine section of the shop. Before I left I made sure to go over and check out what had caught my attention. It was a Pfaff 7550 in immaculate condition.....and had absolutely everything with it. I spent a day debating on whether to purchase yet another machine.....and showed up at the shop early Monday morning with butterflies in my stomach. I wasn't sure whether the machine would even still be there. It was and I was finally able to bring home my "dream" machine. Yea!!!! It has over 200 decorative stitches with the capability to create an unlimited amount with the creative designer unit that came with it. It has a beautiful stitch (even when doing a pretty complex decorative stitch) and is so incredibly quiet when it runs. It will take me a while to figure things out completely.....but will be a very enjoyable journey. Sometimes sewing bliss doesn't come in just a single machine. There are times when it comes in multiple machines.....and what is better than having wonderful machines to create with. :)

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad for you that you took the plunge and bought the new machine. You'll have such fun with it. My new Janome was bought for different reasons, but the embroidery stitches have been a real bonus and I love using them. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I'm glad that I took the plunge as well. I've been wanting to do a dresden plate quilt that has lots of embroidery on it and really didn't want to do all that embroidery by hand. Now I can use my Pfaff for all the decorative sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations on your new machine, I have heard good things about Pfaff. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Candace. It is an older machine (about 12 years old or so) but I so look forward to many, many years of sewing fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A new baby, what fun :-)
    hugs to the sheeples! KalamaQuilts

    ReplyDelete