Monday, February 18, 2008
The intarsia bag is finished. At least the outside of it anyway. I still need to line it and make handles for it. Wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do for handles, but am leaning towards fabric handles. I think if I make them from the same fabric used for the lining it should look really cute.
I've started on the third sheep from my sheep mobile.....Timmy's momma. She is looking really cute and has tons of personality already. I hope to finish her up this week. I also started on a felted lamb. This is being made from Shetland yarn......that I spun up myself......that is from one of my own sweet sheep. The felted lamb is coming along rather nicely. The knitting part should be finished up and ready for felting in a couple of days.
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Here is Timmy!! He is the second sheep from Shaun's the Sheep and Friends Mobile. He is approximately 4" tall....and is pretty round. I opted to give him a different color pom-pom for his hat instead of one that matches his hat brim. Makes things a bit more fun, I think. Timmy's mom is the next sheep in the set. I will start on her just as soon as I finish up the intarsia bag I'm working on.
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
I have started sewing my rows together. It's going slowly simply because of all the seams to match up. That's okay though. I think the completed quilt will be well worth all the time put into it. This is definitely not something I would have tackled on my own. Doing it as a mystery was a wonderful idea!!
Friday, February 8, 2008
Update on the intarsia bag: It's coming along very nicely. Love the way it's looking and should have the front side of it finished up tonight. Definitely a very colorful bag.
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Speaking of spinning, I started spinning up a Columbia/Dorset (?) blend yesterday. It's ecru in color. Not one of the most thrilling colors for me to spin up....but it is spinning up into what will be a very nice worsted weight yarn. I was able to spin up half a bobbin yesterday. Hope to finish up the bobbin today.
My order from Paradise Fibers arrived yesterday. I had ordered a pound of grey Norwegian top and a pound of light grey Suffolk roving. The Norwegian top feels a bit softer than the Suffolk. Both should spin up very nicely. Even though I have my own sheep, I still enjoy spinning wool from other breeds. I plan on making felted (or fulled) teddy bears from the fiber I got yesterday. Along with the fiber was also a small Yarntainer. I have a medium sized one and absolutely love it! Use it for just about everything.....especially when I'm plying my singles. Keeps my center pull ball in one place and I don't have to worry about it rolling around everywhere. The only time I run into a problem is when I am plying and knitting at the same time. Reason why I ordered another one. Thought I would try the smaller size and see how that works out.
Monday, February 4, 2008
It was definitely a week for finishing up things. I also finished up the embroidered denim pillows that I had started oh so long ago. I fell in love with the zebra embroidery the moment I saw it and knew that I just had to use it for a pair of pillows. I used cotton threads for the embroidery. Gave it a nice matte finish. I also reversed the design for the second pillow so that the zebras would be facing each other when the pillows are on the couch. A simple frame of darker denim seems to set the embroideries off very nicely. The backing is a simple four-patch using a light colored denim and a striped denim. Nothing fancy.....although fun. I think it carries the "stripe theme" to the back.
Quilting update: All of the signature split nine-patch blocks are finished. They look great!! There are 36 in all. I had purchased a couple of Christmas fat quarters for the other 36 split nine-patch blocks that still need to be made. Wasn't sure I would have enough light colored squares for them. I also purchased fabric for borders and binding. So I'm all set. Just need to finish up my mystery quilt.
Step #6 for the Carolina Crossroads mystery quilt is finally finished. Everything looks really good. I started on step #7 over the weekend. Got things all laid out. Even managed to get a whopping 8 blocks sewn up out of the 25 that I need. I hope to finish sewing up the blocks in the next day or two. Once that is done then I can start sewing the top together.
Knitting update: Started on a new project the other night. A felted intarsia bag. I've never done intarsia before so thought this would be a great way to learn a new technique. Especially since the project is a fairly small one. I'm using all hand-spun, hand-dyed yarns for it. All I can say right now is that it is definitely a learning experience. I had a third of the bag knitted up when I noticed things weren't coming together like they should. So I ended up taking it all out and starting over. I was using clothespins for yarn bobbins and I think that was causing some problems. They were just too heavy. I switched over to floss bobbins and things are going much better. Of course it's the second time through and I have a much better idea of what I'm doing.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Monday, January 28, 2008
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
I did start on the second sheep in this mobile. His name is Timmy and he's a baby. So far I have the body knit up. I hope to work on him a bit more tonight. While the knitting is simply, it's a bit fiddly due to the small size. Still makes for a very fun project. Gives me a nice break from the illusion scarf....which I'm still working on.
Update on the alien illusion scarf: alien motif #4 is finished. I will start on alien motif #5 in the next day or so. Tihs is definitely one of those projects where it's nice to have something else to work on. For me, a break is needed every now and then or the knitting becomes monotonous.